'The best books, reviewed with insight and charm, but without compromise.'
- author Jackie French

Saturday 16 October 2010

Review: Are You My Mum?/Where’s My Mum?


This gorgeous duo of books has been created by the National Library of Australia using just a small part of its extensive collection of art – this time stunning Australian birdlife illustrations by E E Gostelow.

The books are complemented by new artwork of a cygnet by Naomi Zouwer.

The first book – Are You My Mum? is a board book for littlies in which a fluffy little cygnet hatches from its egg and begins a search for it’s mother. Could it be a penguin? A pelican? an owl or cassowary? And can our little fluffy friend find its real mum? What will it be?

 In Where’s My Mum? the board book is taken to another level for older children, with lift-the-flap pages hiding paintings of Australian native birds and a write up of fascinating information on each one.

Part exploration, part information book and the complete package when it comes to teaching our kids about our abundant and beautiful wildlife, the latter book also contains artist information and notes on the Library’s extensive artistic collection.

Gorgeously styled and presented, this is another must-have for Australian children.

Title: Are You My Mum?/Where’s My Mum?
Author: Susan Hall
Publisher: National Library of Australia, A$17.95RRP
Publication Date: 01/07/10 / 09/02/09
ISBN: 9780642277152 /9780642276797
Type: Board Book/Picture Book

This book is available online - Are you my Mum? Where's My Mum?