'The best books, reviewed with insight and charm, but without compromise.'
- author Jackie French

Saturday 11 September 2010

Review: Shape My World! and Colour My World!



Utilising their endlessly fabulous array of national library images, these gorgeous picture books for little ones are given a modern update with a splash of... well - colour. Gorgeously designed and produced, both books are given the royal treatment with full flap front covers and embossing for little fingers to explore, like Shape My World's front cover shapes - jostling there like little matt stickers.

Inside Shape My World, we are treated to rhyming prose for each shape and a picture for some serious shape-spotting - only these are no ordinary pictures... they are classic paintings and retro drawings that will expand little minds so wide, an appreciation for beautiful art will fit inside.

Each double page spread also features a lift out flap that reveals some facts and figures regarding the painting in question - perfect for extending older children.

Colour My World features gorgeous black and white photos of children - both olden day and modern, splashed with a clever use of colour. Owen Reeder's text verbalises each colour descriptively, relating it to each photograph.

Both books host a picture glossary in the final pages so adults can learn more about the impressive range of artwork and photography housed at the National Library of Australia. In Colour My World, notes on how to use the book are very helpful for parents and teachers who like to make their reading sessions are well-rounded experience.

These books are available online - Shape My World / Colour My World


Title: Shape My World! and Colour My World!
Author: Susan Hall / Stephanie Owen Reeder
Publisher: National Library of Australia, $16.95 RRP 
Format: Paperback
ISBN: 9780642276643 / 9780642276636
For ages: 0 - 4
Type: Picture Books